NLWF Presents:
The Federation that promises to blow your mind as we lead the golden age of Pro Wrestling into the future! The No Limit Wrestling Federation is like no other, where you will be given limitless opportunities to excel fast as you compete in the Land of No Limits, fighting in the best Blood Sport on Earth!

NLWF accepts anyone brave enough to take the Walk of Fame, the first steps on the path to Immortality, but warns: Enter at Your Own Risk!

No restrictions, no boundaries, no limits, just the sport the way it should be!

Welcome and allow me to introduce you to four letters that will change your life, NLWF!

“IMMORTAL IS THE NLWF STANDARD OF QUALITY”

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NLWF Presents:
The Federation that promises to blow your mind as we lead the golden age of Pro Wrestling into the future! The No Limit Wrestling Federation is like no other, where you will be given limitless opportunities to excel fast as you compete in the Land of No Limits, fighting in the best Blood Sport on Earth!

NLWF accepts anyone brave enough to take the Walk of Fame, the first steps on the path to Immortality, but warns: Enter at Your Own Risk!

No restrictions, no boundaries, no limits, just the sport the way it should be!

Welcome and allow me to introduce you to four letters that will change your life, NLWF!

“IMMORTAL IS THE NLWF STANDARD OF QUALITY”
NLWF Presents:
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winning the War I Lost

Go down

Winning the War I Lost Empty Winning the War I Lost

Kimberly O’Day: “Chuck?”

She flips the lights on. Chuck is sitting in an armchair, staring off into space. His back is turned to Kim, but she can just spot his blond hair over the top of the seat.

Kimberly O’Day: “Chuck, are you okay?”

Chuck doesn’t answer. Kim slowly walks into the room, around the armchair. She looks at Chuck’s face. He has that look again. Kim has never seen Chuck like this. He seems distant, the way he is when he’s deep in thought. But there’s something different. His face is slightly contorted, a look of extreme pain and misery etched into his face. The tense muscles in his face leave light wrinkles in their wake, giving Chuck a much odler appearance. This isn’t a twenty-four year old man. Chuck seems to have aged thirty years in a week.

Kimberly O’Day: “Chuck, what’s wrong?”

Still, Chuck doesn’t respond. Kim asks again, this time her voice cracking as she speaks.

Kimberly O’Day: “Chuck, please. Tell me what’s going on. I hate to see you like this.”

For a second, Chuck’s eyes lock onto hers, then slowly drift back to staring at nothing. Kim sits in Chuck’s lap. Chuck’s arms wrap around her waist, holding her close, as if they had minds of their own. Chuck’s face still holds the same expression. Kim kisses Chuck’s cheek.

Kimberly O’Day: “Please. Talk to me.”

Chuck Matthews: “I…”

Kimberly O’Day: “You…?”

Chuck Matthews: “I lost.”

Kimberly O’Day: “Chuck, what Ryan did at Majority Rules was low. He knew-”

Chuck Matthews: “No. I lost the war.”

Kimberly O’Day: “What do you mean?”

Chuck Matthews: “I love this family more than anything, Kim. I’m proud of everything that’s happened so far. I’m proud of Ashley, winning the SCWF Heavyweight Championship, of you, dominating in SW, of Bobby and Chad working so well together in ASWA…But…The thing is…This isn’t what I wanted.”

Kimberly O’Day: “What do you mean?”

Chuck Matthews: “We created something great, you and I. We have merged the greatest wrestling families in wrestling. And I used it to my advantage. I declared the war against Salvation.”

Kimberly O’Day: “We’ve stuck by you, Chuck. We’re a family.”

Chuck Matthews: “I know. The plan worked perfectly, until Majority Rules.”

Kimberly O’Day: “Your match?”

Chuck Matthews: “No. My match went exactly as I wanted it to. No, I mean Nick and Brenton’s match.”

Kimberly O’Day: “Nick is part of The Dynasty, isn’t he?”

Chuck Matthews: “I really don’t know. I mean…I don’t know why he did what he did at Majority Rules. I don’t know if that was his sign of loyalty towards this family…or if he just had some personal issue with Brenton Cyrus. The fact remains, he hasn’t proposed to Ashley, therefore, I can’t bring myself to let him into this family.”

Kimberly O’Day: “Nick is a good kid.”

Chuck Matthews: “He’s a great kid. But…I guess he follows after me, in a way. He has these thoughts, he does things that nobody can explain. But inside, he’s got his own plans, his own motives. He just never tells anyone what he’s thinking.”

Kimberly: “So what’s wrong?”

Chuck Matthews: “Nick killed him.”

Kimberly O’Day: “Isn’t that what you wanted? Wasn’t this entire war you had just a way to get rid of Salvation?”

Chuck Matthews: “No. I wanted to get rid of Salvation because I was sick of seeing some ego tripping asshole Brenton Cyrus. I wanted my old friend back. The guy I met back in January. The guy that became like my brother, the guy I could talk to about anything. Not some jackass who thought he was God. All I wanted was to bring back my old friend. Find my brother again.”

Kimberly O’Day: “And since Nick killed him…you’ll never get that chance.”

Chuck nods slowly. His eyes water. Kim hugs him tight.

Kimberly O’Day: “I’m sorry, Chuck.”

Chuck felt wrecked. It was true. When he came to NLWF, he had Lauren Taylor, and that was it. Brenton quickly became his best friend. He and Chuck were closer than anyone else in NLWF. They talked about everything. Now he was gone…and Chuck found himself alone again.

No…he had Kim. He had Ashley. Nick. Chad, Bobby. He had a family. But…there was something missing. Even though they were enemies, the thought of knowing Brenton was still around…that there was a chance that the old brenton was still alive somewhere…it was good to know. Now, Brenton Cyrus, Chuck’s friend, and Brenton Cyrus, Salvation’s God were gone. And while Chuck didn’t give a shit if he didn’t have to hear anymore God bullshit…the thought of his best friend, wiped off the face of the earth was crushing. Almost debilitating. And the worst part of it all? Nick had done it. He had put the final nail in brenton’s coffin.

Had it been anyone else, Chuck would have hunted them down. Made them suffer. Put them through pain that didn’t compare to what they did to Cyrus. But Nick…Chuck couldn’t do it. And as upset as he was about the death of his friend…He couldn’t be mad at Nick. As much as Chuck hated Nick once, Nick had grown on him. Chuck liked the kid. Maybe that’s why he was so disappointed when Nick didn’t propose to Ashley. Perhaps it wasn’t so much the thought of her not being happy that annoyed him, but the fact that Chuck was looking forward to Nick becoming his son-in-law.

Kimberly O’Day: “I think you need to talk to Nick.”

Chuck looks at her, his eyes red with sadness. He nods.

Kimberly O’Day: “And Chuck…Maybe this isn’t the best tinme to ask…”

Chuck Matthews: “You can ask me anything.”

Kimberly O’Day: “I want you to come with me this weekend. I’m visiting my family, and…I really want them to meet you. The real you, not the evil monster Brenton and Megan made you out to be.”

Chuck thinks about it for a moment. He had been waiting a long time to meet the rest of Megan’s family…and he had been searching for a chance to bring Taylor and Megan to see things his way. Maybe join the Dynasty with Kim.

Chuck Matthews: “Of course. When I get back, we’ll pack up.”

Kim kisses him.

Kimberly O’Day: “Thanks so much, Chuck.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck gets out of his car and looks at the arch before him. The church is long gone, but the cemetery that always stood behind it is still there. Chuck remembers a time that this place brought him great joy to see. It gave him a feeling of power. Then, it disgusted him to look at it. It made him sick just to be there…Now…there were too many bad memories. Too much pain associated with the site of the original Church of Salvation.

It seemed like only a few hours ago that Chuck was here, holding the memorial service for Brenton Cyrus. This was the place he chose. The beginning and the end. This is where Chuck and Brenton’s friendship began, back when the church was just a radio station, which Chuck used to invade the televisions of every man, woman, and child in America. This was where the station was torn down, to make room for the new Church. This was where Chuck and Brenton’s friendship ended, when Chuck stormed out of the Church for the last time, severing his ties with Salvation. This was where their friendship was rebuilt, when Nick and Ashley trapped them there, and made them sort out their problems. And this is where, somewhere down the line, Brenton decided he hated Chuck, and their friendship died once again. So much had happened here. To put the body of Brenton Cyrus anywhere else seemed meaningless.

The Salvation Cemetery. It served as decoration when the Church still stood. A mass of white headstones, some with fake names, fake deaths, mostly Chuck’s humor. Most headstones were blank. Just slabs of stone above bodies that didn’t exist. Of course, it remained that way, with no actual bodies in the cemetery. The funeral saw the burial of a casket filled with things that reminded Chuck of Brenton. A cross. A few photo albums. Some copies of North Mason High School Musical. Things like that. Now, a few days later, here he was again, looking out at the mass of graves.

He doesn’t go into the graveyard right away. He looks instead to the church, or what’s left of it. It’s in ruins, though Chuck can still see where things once were. He sees the outline in the ground, where the church once stood. He sees the remains of the beds in the sleeping area. He can still make out the remains of old seats, where people used to crowd in to hear Chuck speak. And at the back…

The statue. It’s in pieces. The statue of Brenton and Chuck, which once stood tall and towered over the rest of the room, now lays in chunks. Brenton’s head pokes out of the ground. Chuck’s arm lays on the floor, the No Limit Title still in his grasp. Chuck stares at the ruined statue, and shakes his head. He turns away, towards the cemetery, but something catches his eye. A singed picture. It’s a picture of Brenton and Chuck, standing in front of the church. It’s Chuck’s old picture. He used to hang it in the window of his car, back when they were still friends. Chuck stares at the picture a moment. He picks it up and pockets it, careful not to let it crumple in his pocket. He turns and heds into the cemetery, towards the back, where the grave of Brenton Cyrus lies. He sees a figure kneeling at the site. Chuck smiles as he approaches the man.

Chuck Matthews: “Something told me you’d be here.”

Nick glances at Chuck, then looks back to the headstone.

Nick Ridicule: “Chuck.”

Chuck Matthews: “How are things, Nick?”

Nick Ridicule: “How are things, well let's see. I haven't spoken to Ashley in about a week, I killed my God, and I have no family thanks to you, I'm not good.”

Chuck is a bit taken aback at the response. Nick is usually…well, he isn’t bubbly…but Chuck can tell when Nick’s happy, and when he’s miserable, and now…Chuck’s never seen Nick so upset. Nick looks at the grave, staring at it. Chuck grabs Nick’s shoulder.

Chuck Matthews: “Why did you do it, Nick?”

Nick Ridicule: “Do what, Chuck?"

Chuck Matthews: "Kill him."

Nick Ridicule: "Didn't you watch the match? It was an accident. I didn't mean to kill him."

Chuck Matthews: "You said you were going to kill him."

Nick Ridicule: "Fine. I have no reason to lie to you. He deserved it. You know it, and I know it. The fact is, he wanted me to do it, and I did. Now I can't get the image out of my head. I've watched the tape so many times thinking about why I attacked him even after the match. But for some reason I just can't figure it out, and now I have no one to talk about it with."

Chuck Matthews: "Ah, come on, Nick. You got me. I said it at Majority Rules...You were there when I had nobody on my side. Now I'm returning the favor. Talk to me."

Nick Ridicule: "Chuck you don't have to pretend anymore. I know you don't like me, and now that Ashley and I are separated, you don't have to play nice. Ashley gave me something the last time I saw her. It was a tape of me telling her about Samantha Mark. I listened to that tape right before my match with Brenton. Without Ashley, without Salvation, I had no motivation to fight, and listening to that tape I knew exactly what I was going to do. Maybe I feel so bad about what I did because I'm not sorry I did it. I don't know."

Chuck Matthews: "Nick...Yeah, there was a time I hated your guts. A time when your face was the absolute last thing I wanted to see. But the thing is...you're the love of my daughter's life. Ashley adores you, Nick. The fact that you haven't spoken to her all week is crushing her right now."

Nick says nothing.

Chuck Matthews: "When Brenton and I took you, and beat you to see our side...I don't know how to explain it. At the time, it was great, We were really dealing a blow to Styles, taking his own son and torturing him. But later, after I left Salvation, I saw exactly what we had done. We wrecked you. We had you convinced that we had built you back up stronger than ever, so everybody believed it, even you. But look at yourself. You're miserable, and everything points back to one thing. Our converting you to Salvation.

Nick, I screwed up. The things I did to you...I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw you and my daughter together. And I realized I hated you so much because I didn't want Ashley to go down the same path we forced you down. I'm trying to make it up to you, Nick. I gave you my permission to marry Ashley, not just because she loved you, or because you saved her life...But because I know you're without a family. And it's my fault. You're right. You're all alone, and it's because of me. So let me make things better Nick. I'm just telling you...you're always welcome in my family."

Nick Ridicule: "Ok Chuck, if you feel like you messed up, screwed me up. Then Apologize to me. You two will never understand what you saved me from. The pain you guys inflicted on me pales in comparison to the pain I felt before. You took a nobody, a sad, angry man, dealing with depression that would eventual lead me into a life of drugs, alcohol abuse, and crime and you guys inspired me. You taught me that there was always something more important to fight for, the greater good. I was Universal Champion, I'm the current NLWF champion, and before I messed things up I had the love of the most perfect person on this planet. You don't owe me an apology, an explanation, or anything. I'm glad you guys did what you did to me, and if I wouldn't take it back if I could, why should you?"

Chuck Matthews: "Because you're killing yourself over it! Look, Nick. You're sitting at the old church of Salvation, staring at the grave of a man that you killed, and talking about all the things you have that you would have regardless. We didn't make you Nick, you made yourself. We could have beaten the hell out of you all we wanted, but at the end of the day, we could only change you if you were willing to accept it. That's how I could convert so many people to Salvation. They were losers. The outcasts, the sinners, the forsaken of the world. People who's minds were easily molded. Who were easily swayed. They only changed because they were willing. You were the same way. You were an outcast, a broken child raised by a broken man. We took you under our wing, and we showed you our way. But the change was you.

Our methods were disgusting, Nick. Think of all the things we did to you. Think of how we tortured you, physically and psychologically. You want my apology, and I've given it. I told you I regret everything I did to you, and that I was sorry for it, whether you think it was for the best or not. But it isn't about me now, Nick. It's about you.

Nick, I don't know what's going on between you and my daughter. But she loves you. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you still love her. So fix it. Why are you going to sit there and torture yourself over it? Why are you going to sit there and sulk, and live in regret for something that doesn't need to happen?"

Nick Ridicule: "Actually I was here to kill myself. But you're right, I need to get Ashley back, I need to fix things between us, cause I can't live without her. But about our past Chuck, I love Salvation. The three of us were really something special, the only family I've ever had. Don't take that away from me by telling me you were wrong. It's like a slap to my face. Do you truly believe Alex Mark would be NLWF champion right now without Salvation?"

Chuck Matthews: "As a matter of fact, Nick, I do. You were the son of Johnny Styles. What did we do to you? We beat you and tortured you. But it's like I said. You could only change if you wanted to. If you truly believe that you never would have changed without us, then fine. You win. We were essential to your success."

Nick Ridicule: "So what am I supposed to do?"

Chuck Matthews: "The past is the past, Nick. I moved on from Salvation. Now it's your turn. You've killed Brenton Cyrus. Your reasons are your own. But you made your choice, now you have to live with it. So you can either get Ashley back. You can propose to her. Marry her. Have a family. Belong to a family. Be happy...Or you can do what you came here to do. You can blow your fucking brains out right here, at the Church of Salvation, and be a quitter. And by being a quitter, you will become my biggest disappointment, and you will have spat in the face of everyone that ever cared about Nick Ridicule. Now which sounds better to you?"

Nick Ridicule: "While I must admit it's hard to pass up on a death that spits in everyone's face, I want everything you just described. I want to marry Ashley, have a family, belong to a family, and most of all, be happy.”

Nick stares at the grave for a moment, and both men are silent.

Nick Ridicule: “Hey."

Chuck Matthews: "Yeah?"

Nick Ridicule: "Why the hell are you here?"

Chuck Matthews: "I was...actually, I came here to pay my respects. Brenton was my best friend...before the 'God' stuff, at least...that, and I figured I might find you here."

Nick Ridicule: "I'll leave you two alone, I need to talk to Ashley. Thanks for the talk Chuck, we should hang out after Revolution this week."

Nick begins to walk away.

Chuck Matthews: "Hold on. Nick."

Nick turns around.

Chuck Matthews: "If you don't mind me asking...why is it that you asked me for my blessing, but then never asked Ashley to marry you?"

Nick Ridicule: "My arm was dangling down because that confused asshole Mexican Samurai dislocated my elbow, and the fans were screaming some of the most vulgar things I've ever heard. It wasn't good enough for Ashley. When I propose it's going to be perfect, and she's going to remember it forever."

Chuck is silent. As much as it sounded like something Nick would say, something told Chuck there was more to the story. Still…He wasn’t going to question it. This was supposed to be about trust. If Nick didn’t trust Chuck enough to tell him the real reason, Chuck had only himself to blame for it.

Nick Ridicule: "Now I have a question."

Chuck Matthews: "Shoot."

Nick Ridicule: "If you thought you guys fucked me up so bad, why did you give me your blessing?"

Chuck Matthews: "I realized how miserable I was making her. As horrible as I thought you were, she saw something in you that I didn't. She loved you more than anything. Then when she told me about how you saved her...how you threw away the SCWF Championship to save her...That's something I don't know if even I can do. That's when you earned it. That was the turning point, I think. When I realized just how proud I would be if you became a part of my family."

Chuck stands there. It was hard to believe. A few months ago, Chuck would’ve punched Nick across the face for asking about what he was thinking. Now…Chuck found himself answering questions that he never would have before. Telling Nick things that he originally intended to keep to himself.

Nick Ridicule: "I am, how you and Brenton made me."

Nick turns and walks away, leaving Chuck alone at the grave. Chuck squats down next to it, and runs his fingers across the headstone, across the engraved letters across it. His hand stops over one word.

“Friend.”

Chuck stares at it. He had written the word himself, carved it into the stone with his own hands…but he didn’t remember doing it. Truth be told, he didn’t remember much of anything since Majority Rules. His mind was scrambled by pain, both physical and emotional. He had just come out of his hell in a cell match, heavily bandaged, bloodied, and almost beat…and the death of his friend was fresh in his mind.

Chuck Matthews: “I miss you, man.”

He looked at the grave, as if Brenton was going to jump out of the ground and yell “Fooled you, I’m not really dead!”

But this wasn’t a joke. This wasn’t Death-Angel burning Brenton’s house down, and Brenton having a narrow escape. This wasn’t Brenton crucifying Chuck, and helping Chuck stage his own death. This was it. His best friend was dead. He wasn’t coming back. Chuck stares at the spot, his eyes stinging. He remembered the year leading up to it. Meeting him in line to be interviewed for NLWF. Teaming up in the ring. Becoming One World Nation. All the jokes. All the laughter, the teaming up against their enemies. It all took a turn for the worse…

Chuck Matthews: “You know I would’ve taken it back if I could have…”

Chuck stares at the grave for a few moments. He stands up again. He looks down at the grave.

“Brenton Cyrus.

October 10, 1989 - November 30, 2009

Friend. Father.

You Will be Missed.”

Chuck digs in his pocket. He pulls out the singed picture. A tear drops from his face onto it.

Chuck Matthews: “It was wild, bro…Here’s hoping you’ve found your happiness.”

Chuck rests the picture on top of the grave and walks away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck Matthews: “Corey and Ryan…Of all the new talent that’s come into NLWF in the last few months, I can’t decide which of you two is the most annoying.

Ryan, who takes even the most bullshit victories and plays them off like wonders of the world…or Corey Casey, who just can’t seem to get the simplest concepts through his head.

Corey, you think you have all the answers, don’t you? You think I’m behind everything wrong that goes on around here, and that Salvation is the only right and truthful thing in this world, right?

It’s funny, because in reality, the opposite is true. Nowadays, Salvation has become the greatest evil, the opposite to the greater good it once was. And I’ve become the saving grace of NLWF, along with my family, the people I hold closest to me.

Let’s look at all your bullshit from this week, Corey.

You thought I had someone dress up as Hazard to help me win. Nope. Not this time Corey. It’s funny, because I was actually going to ask you the same thing. I thought it was you mocking me at first. Then Hazard attacked you, which, I’ll admit, threw me off. Truth be told, I have no idea who was under that mask. It's a riddle I can't seem to solve quite yet.

You’re still convinced I’m not changed, aren’t you? Alright, I’ll give it to you. Thinking it was all a game going into Majority Rules makes sense. It’s something I would do. Play to the fans, manipulate them to vote in my favor, get me a match they know I can win, and get me a match that will win me a world title.

So let me ask…if this is all a game…why am I still playing?

I got what I wanted. I got my shot at the title. Got another shot at beating the hell out of Corey Casey. I did it. I won the World Heavyweight Championship again, made you a seven-day champion…a past Chuck Matthews would tell the fans to go fuck themselves right about now. He got what he wanted, the fans are useless.

But, it’s like I said before. This is a new Chuck. A more grateful Chuck. A Chuck who, for months, has been blinded, and has not been able to see what’s been in front of him all along. Those fans love me, Corey, whether you like it or not. Is it such a crime to show a little appreciation?

You also think that it was Ashley and I…well, me, mostly, that convinced Nick to kill Brenton Cyrus. No. Corey, why the fuck would I want Brenton Cyrus dead? That makes this entire war between Dynasty and Salvation pointless. Did you forget the reason I hate Salvation? Because Salvation took my best friend and turned him into a shithead who cares about nobody but himself. Deep down, I knew Brenton Cyrus was there, deep down under the layers of ego, built up by dumb shits like you. That’s what this war is about, Corey. It isn’t about power. It isn’t about running NLWF or holding the most titles. But that’s the way Salvation fights. That’s the way Salvation sees things. They see success only in terms of power, and prestige. I see success in getting what you value most. In essence, Brenton’s death didn’t win me this war, it made it entirely pointless.

So why am I still fighting?

Because I have a new goal. Nick did not kill brenton Cyrus. Salvation killed Brenton Cyrus. The ruthlessness that Salvation taught Nick…the things that Brenton did to hurt Nick…it all builds up, see? And when Nick couldn’t take it anymore…he snapped. Even Nick Ridicule has a breaking point. Congratulations, Corey. You and the rest of Salvation somehow managed to push a man without an ego over the edge. I didn’t think it was possible, but shit…you proved me wrong. Now the question is, where will Nick go from here? Will he side with the team that hates him? Or will he come to the family. Come to the spot I’ve offered him? You offer him power. I offer him happiness. It confuses you, doesn’t it, Corey? Because to you, they mean the same thing. But to other people…people like me, people like Nick. Like the rest of The Dynasty…happiness is everything. What good are titles, money, power…if you aren’t happy having them? If you have to do despicable things to get them?

It’s something I never understood until recently. And when I finally saw the difference…when I finally realized I wasn’t truly happy…I changed. Now I have the heart of the woman I love…and I’m happy. For the first time in years, I can honestly say I’m happy.

No World Heavyweight Championship around my waist. No gold whatsoever. Just a family that cares. And a woman who isn’t there only for my dick. What more could I want.

I’ll tell you. I want to get rid of Salvation. Salvation killed Brenton Cyrus. My best friend. Now I’ll return the favor. Corey, you’ve tried and failed to stop Dynasty from winning. You’ve made the sad mistake of thinking you’re fighting Lethal Injection. No. You’re fighting something so much more.

You’re fighting Chuck Matthews. You’re fighting the one man that can bring Salvation to its knees.

I’ve terminated Salvation before. Now, I’m on my way to doing it again.

Oh, and one more thing…Corey, you’ve mentioned all the things that Nick and I have mentioned in our RP’s…and I gotta ask you, because this has really been bugging the shit out of me…

What’s an RP?

Whatever. See you in the ring, Casey.”
Chuck Matthews
Chuck Matthews
Proving Ground
Proving Ground

Male
Birthday : 1991-05-17
Zodiac : Taurus
Chinese Zodiac : Goat
Location Location : Chicago, Illinois
Number of posts : 710